Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Baby's First . . .

Antibiotics

Not exactly a milestone I'm glad to have crossed, but I am glad that it has almost been a year and this is the first "sick child" doctor visit we've had to have.

I finally took Luke to the doctor this morning. I decided that a week of coughing and snorting was long enough and I didn't want everyone to be suffering over Christmas break. Turns out the poor kid has a flaming ear infection in his right ear and an upper respiratory infection. I never knew amoxicillan and albuterol were so cheap - $19 total! And the doc gave the OK to use some cough syrup to help him sleep a little better.

The bad thing is that albuterol tends to make kids wide awake, and boy did it ever. A one hour nap this afternoon was all Luke took and by 7 p.m. he was a red-eyed mess. I had to give him another dose and it took a while to calm him down at bedtime. He was rubbing his eyes, yawning, and chattering like a wind-up toy. I felt like I had a kid on speed. It was kind of wierd. After saying bedtime prayers and singing a few Christmas hymns I finally just put him in his bed and he fell right to sleep. I've heard him coughing a few times since then, but so far - not a peep.

Now maybe mama can get some sleep too!

5 comments:

B said...

Poor kid. Too bad he didn't give you the sign language pulling-on-his-hears hint. Now you know how Em and I feel on the albuterol - it's like you just ate a pound of coffee beans! But hopefully he feels better soon!

Gayle and Rob said...

Poor baby - glad you went to the Dr. now so he can have a few days of medicine before getting on the airplane. This family sure knows all about ear infections - he'll get lots of sympathy here.

MLE said...

I totally understand about the abuterol! But--watch that antibiotic! Hopefully he will NOT get the Emily depression reaction to that. That's the worst. I'm still not sure what I'll do if I ever need an antibiotic again. Can't wait to see the snotty mess!

Katie said...

I'm not sure what the signs of baby depression are - whining? crying? wanting to sleep all day? - but he was definitely happy last night. If only the 2 drugs would cancel each other out!

bob said...

Glad he's getting some relief... hope your flight tomorrow goes well with him all drugged up, and I hope his ears are all right on the plane!