Sunday, January 28, 2007

Two!

Warning! The following is a highly photo-heavy post.

Luke had his birthday on Friday. We celebrated by going to the doctor in the morning. No shots this time, but he has to go have a blood test for lead. Apparently this is a routine test given to kids this age, but I'm not looking forward to getting blood drawn from a 2-year-old. Luke was 27 pounds and 34 1/2 inches tall - 50th percentile in each category.

We let him open his presents from relatives on Thursday night since we were having guests on Friday and thought it would be a little tacky to do it in front of them.

He's starting to get the hang of opening presents.
P1250013

He was a little more interested in the paper than in the new summer clothes Grandma and Grandpa sent.
P1250014

He liked the new jammies - fire trucks and ambulances!
P1250015

Another egg book from Grandma (she loves chickens!).
P1250016

Auntie Emily's present was opened one small piece of paper at a time.
P1250017

Ooh! What's in the box?
P1250018

Who cares about the nice sweatshirt? There are TRUCKS in the box!
P1250019

Vroom! Crash! (He later took these all to bed with him - 2 nights in a row and a nap time.)
P1250020

On Thursday I had another doctor's appointment and afterward we went to Value Village, a local thrift store. There are always tons of nice things there for really cheap. It's been pretty cold lately and I discovered that the hand-me-down heavy coat Luke had was way too small. My grandma sent Luke some $$ for his birthday and he didn't need more toys so we went to look for a coat and some sweaters. I found 2 nice sweaters, a sweatshirt, some Bob the Builder overalls for next year, and a winter coat and snow pants set - all for under $20! The coat set itself was $5.45 - both pieces together! Score! Luke wore the coat to the doctor's on Friday for the first time. It's a little big, but much better than the too-small one we had.
P1260022

Here's one of the new sweaters - appropriately decorated with none other than TRUCKS!
P1260011

Friday night we had some friends over for supper - Mary (the church secretary whom we don't get to see as often anymore), the Brockmans (Luke's surrogate grandparents here), and our neighbors across the street. I made a fire truck birthday cake. Here's a family picture before we cut into it (I'm not very photogenic lately - excuse the fat rolls on my back and the stringy hair - nothing I can do about it right now).
P1260012_1

Yum!
P1260013

Luke was actually more enthused with the giant "pres-tal" rods that made the ladder than with the cake.
P1260010_1

I like this picture. He looks like a little angelic Raggedy Andy.
P1260011_1

4 comments:

Kim Tracy Prince said...

Happy Birthday to Luke! He has grown so quickly. I am impressed with your cake - but did you even get to eat any of it?

Katie said...

I ate a small piece after I checked my sugar an hour later. It was OK - not chocolate so I'm not in a hurry to polish it off now either!

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Happy Birthday Luke! 2 years old already what a big boy!

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday to Luke!!! I loved the last picture! Looks like he had a great day and by the way, I was seriously impressed with the fire engine cake!