Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Playing Games

Lately Luke has been interested in playing games on the computer. So far he is content with PBS Kids, which is fine with me. He uncovers dinosaur bones with Caillou and spells words with Super Why. Usually he plays while Erin is napping, but if she gets up she wants to do it too, although she doesn't understand how to use the mouse yet.

The other day I took some pictures because it was funny to see how each of them "plays" a little differently.

When Luke is on the computer, he has to have company. He lines all of his Rescue Heroes up so they can watch, too.


Appreciate how neatly they are arranged. And not just in a straight line but a pleasing arc!


Now here's how Erin plays. See how she is in the driver's seat now and Luke is riding shotgun (apparently we are British here, but you get the idea)? And notice who is actually doing the driving?


And yes, that is Erin's Roger Houston there next to her. I gave her one so she could play Rescue Heroes with Luke without touching "his" toys.


I love how concentrated she is with her head in her hand.

I'm feeling a little sad tonight about her growing up. We took the side rail off her crib tonight. The room looks strange without the tent over the crib and with the mattress right there for her to climb up on. I thought we would have a harder time at bedtime, but I guess she understood my instructions about staying in bed. We'll see if she stays in bed in the morning until I come get her like I asked her to. We put the gate up outside her room just in case - don't want her wandering the house or falling down the steps in the middle of the night. It is almost exactly 5 years ago that Alec & his dad put up the crib for Luke and I'm a little bit sad to see it slowly coming apart. I did tell myself earlier tonight that I was not going to dwell on it, though. I need to enjoy my kids at whatever age they're at and not wish for something that can't be anymore or I will miss something right now.

5 comments:

Anne said...

I think it's okay to be a little sad as they grow up, just keep it in perspective (like you seem to be doing) and only involve them in happy reminiscing, not the "your poor mom is getting old" kind. I have a friend who practically grieves with every one of her sons' birthdays, makes them take pictures with her because "it's the last day you're (insert age here)" and just FEELS the passing of time so DEEPLY that I want to slap her upside the head. It's like the kids should apologize for growing up or something.

Okay, rant over. :)

Callie said...

Katie-There will always be room around the table for you. I think Puff and Boots would appreciate the company. :)
Hope the "big girl bed" is working out well.

David said...

Both my girls are into computer games now, too. Lately they are playing a lot of "Diego Dinosaur Adventure" from Nick Jr. Arcade. And Fiona loves "Fat Princess" on the PS3. She's always writing
"FAT" on her blackboard to prove that she can spell it.

mary said...

I am impressed by how long Erin's hair is! These computer pics really show that off (as do the big girl bed pics)!

MLE said...

How precious! I love all these pictures, and I'm amazed to see the changes in them already since December!