Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Kukui

I've put off writing this post mostly because I don't know what to say. However, some of you were wondering what happened with Kukui so I thought I would write a little and share some pictures.

To put it bluntly, Kukui had a bathroom problem. In the past year he had begun peeing around the house and we had to throw out several things that he ruined, some not so cheap. When we returned from Michigan in June he had soaked our living room couch several times as well as a few other places/things in the house. We decided to have him put to sleep, a difficult decision and one that many people would disagree with. I won't go into all the reasons why we decided this, but know that it was not easy.

Anyway, here are some pictures. We got Kukui in July of 2001 when he was about 6 months old. We didn't have a digital camera yet then so I don't have any pictures on the computer of when he was really little. This first one is when we were redoing the upstairs bedroom before Luke was born. Meisje was about a month old.



Meisje's first snow.


April 2005


July 2005






July 2006 - Luke's new rocking chair


Apparently Kukui liked the new rocking chair too!


I took this picture in about November 2006. We were working on re-doing our bedroom and I went looking for Luke. I found that he had climbed into his crib with a bunch of books and was using Kukui as a pillow.


A little morbid, but this is where Kukui is now. After the vet put him to sleep, Alec took him home in the box that he came home in originally. He and Luke dug a hole in the backyard and we buried him there behind the bench. Luke did surprisingly well and understood (for the most part) what had happened and why. He still says he missed Kukui every now and then, but I think he has adjusted OK. I think Alec has had a harder time; Kukui was really his friend (maybe even his first kid!). He doesn't talk much about it, but I know he misses him.

No comments: