Monday, August 24, 2009

School Days, School Days, Good old Golden Rule Days

Or something like that.

Today was Luke's first day of pre-school. He was not too excited when I woke him up at 7 this morning, especially since he had a hard time falling asleep last night and he is NOT a morning person. He told me he didn't want to go to school and he wanted more sleep. However, after getting dressed and waking up Erin and getting her dressed, he was ready. In the car on the way he said more than once that he was "SO excited!"

Here are the requisite "First Day of School" pictures. Goofy, as usual. And very excited.

Erin had to wear her "packpack" too - it's really a leash, which ended up being a good idea.

When we got to school, we were about 10 minutes early. All the preschoolers line up by their door until it's time to go in. Mrs. Baker (she's the one in the purple shirt) was there with a sheet of nametags and Luke was pretty subdued and nervous. At this point I was hoping we weren't going to have a problem and was feeling kind of misty myself. Then the 3 boys he knows in his class started trickling in and he warmed up enough to talk and smile a bit so I started feeling better, too.

Once inside, the kids hung up their backpacks and then found their names on the floor. They started playing a little name game and, wouldn't you know it, Erin plopped herself down between 2 kids she knew. When the teacher skipped over her, she began to say her own name while glaring at the teacher, "Ewin, Ewin, EWIN!" I figured it was a good time to leave then.

She pitched the hugest fit. I had to practically sling her over my shoulder to get her out of there since she was fighting me and doing the whole limp baby thing. I got a few looks in the parking lot, but mostly they were sympathetic.

Since Monday is our usual grocery store day I figured it would be good to stick with the routine and keep her busy. She pretty much cried the whole way to the store, pointing out Luke's empty seat and asking where he was. She was calmed down by the time we got there, but the store we shop at has 2-seater carts and she kept saying to me while pointing at the empty seat next to her, "Lukie sit here!"

She did OK overall. Once we got home I got out some new Play-Doh jars I'd been saving and she played with that while I put groceries away. By the time we were done it was time to go pick up Luke again.

When we picked him up, the teacher commented on Luke being left-handed, said he had a good morning and that he was very observant and smart. I smiled and nodded. What do you say? "Oh, I know. I taught him everything he knows. He has good genes." It does make one feel good, though.

Oh, and he had a good time. In the hall walking out, not more than 10 feet from the classroom door, he said, "I like school!" Hooray!


Brooke said...

Sounds like it was a hit! When R&R (both!) attended VBS this summer, Jack and I would run errands after I dropped them off. He doesn't talk yet but was clearly confused, wondering where they were and why it was so quiet!

MLE said...

Hooray! I'm so glad day one went well, and I hope they continue to go well. I can't wait to talk to him and hear his reaction. Erin's no dummy either -- of course she wanted to stay in school!

Gayle and Rob said...

Knowing what good buddies they are, it's not surprising that Erin had a tough time leaving Luke at school. Her turn will come.

diplofam said...

Clara had a hard time adjusting when Anne and Isaac went to school last year-the hardest part was the fact that Isaac was home two days a week and in school 3 days. This year should be much better with Isaac is school 5 days a week (good for Mommy too!)